- identify users
- remember users' custom preferences
- help users complete tasks without having to re‑enter information when browsing from one page to another or when visiting the site later.
How are they used?
What are the different types of cookies?
A cookie can be classified by its lifespan and the domain to which it belongs. By lifespan, a cookie is either a:
- session cookie which is erased when the user closes the browser or
- persistent cookie which remains on the user's computer/device for a pre-defined period of time.
- first-party cookies which are set by the web server of the visited page and share the same domain